Tuesday, August 20, 2013

#SayWhat, God? - Radical Obedience in a Mundane Life



Let me get this straight. You, the Creator of the Universe, The Giver of All Things, are asking me to work for WHO??

This is was my heart-cry in January of 2012. Fresh out of college, newly engaged and living with my parents. When all of a sudden, I get a job offer for the most hated agency around.

Child Protective Services.

You have got to be kidding me! I was terrified! I didn't want to rip children from their parents. I didn't want to see all of the bad that was happening in my community.
And I definitely didn't want to be exposed to devastation that would turn me from my walk with Jesus.

Have you ever had a time when you are struggling with what God has asked you to do?
Most of the time, we spend our prayer life asking God to forgive us and to direct our steps day in and day out. But what happens when we actually seek Him so faithfully that we hear Him speaking to us?

Jeremiah 29:13 says "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all of your heart." 

That ain't no joke.

I had accepted the job offer to become an investigator with CPS and I was trying to mentally prepare myself for what was about to happen. The day before my first day, I was in Bible study with my then "soon to be" mother-in-law when Beth Moore read out loud:

 "SPEAK FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES. FOR THE RIGHTS OF ALL WHO ARE DESTITUTE." Proverbs 31:8

My mother-in-law looks at me and says "That verse was for you." 

Whoa. Confirmation at it's finest. Yes God! I will speak for the children that can't speak for themselves. Yes God! I will be their voice and assure they are well taken care of. Yes God! I will pray for the parents and do my best to assure they get the help they need in order to take proper care of their children.

Yes God. Use me.

Little did I know, saying "Yes" on that day would set my entire life in motion. I gained the experience of a lifetime. I have some wonderful memories. I met beautiful children seeking for acceptance and love. I was able to hold and pray for infants. Newly born into this world and searching a mother and a father. 
I prayed they would find a father in the One that knit them together in their mother's womb (Psalm 139:13)

"See how very much our Father loves us, for He calls us His children, and that is what we are!" 1 John 3:1

I met the enemy head on in many occasions. I saw death and despair in people's eyes. People that live in my own community. Broken and lost. I was able to pray for their redemption. I was able to show them the love of Jesus, even when they didn't recognize it. 

God used my experiences with Child Protective Services to slingshot me into a world of global awareness.
He gave me a heart to love and care for the Orphans of the world.
He is using me! He has confirmed time and time again that He has created me to make others aware of the Orphan epidemic throughout the world, and the despair children face in our own communities.

If I wouldn't have said Yes on that day in January. If I wouldn't have had "radical obedience," then I wouldn't have gained the benefits of all I have learned. Including the passion God placed in my heart to make a difference for children around the world, 
including the children that will come to our family someday through adoption.

Thank you Lord, for passionately pursuing me. Thank you Lord, for continually speaking to me. Thank you Lord, for my desires and the opportunity to seek after You with all I have.

“We need not fear what our obedience will cause to happen in our life. We should only fear what our disobedience will cause us to miss.” - Lysa TerKeurst

In Love,
Casey






No comments:

Post a Comment