Friday, August 23, 2013

The Word as a Weapon


"For the word of God is living and effective and sharper than any double-edged sword, penetrating as far as the separation of soul and spirit, joints and marrow. It is able to judge the ideas and thoughts of the heart. " Hebrews 4:12

 Wouldn't it be beautiful to have words of praise and thanksgiving fall from your lips at every breath?
Or to be able to give scripture as comfort when someone is hurt?

I want to be this person. I want to have the Words of God tattooed on my heart so that with every breath, I am able to impulsively shout scripture. 

I have been a believer in Christ for many years now, but have only recently began to actively pursue Him as He has done for me for so long. I have also recently began to memorize scripture sporadically. But you know that saying, "If you don't use it, you lose it?"

Often I will be in the den in our home which adjoins my husband's office. I can hear him in his office speaking in German. Yes, German. B lived in Austria for some time and learned the language but he is always afraid that if he doesn't use it, he will lose it, so he is constantly speaking to himself in this beautiful language. 

I want to be like my husband, but with scripture. The verses that I have learned (which is few) over the previous year, I have to try very hard to bring back to my mind. A few times I have written it on a post-it and placed it on our bathroom mirror. While B is getting dressed, he and I will repeat the verse over and over to commit it to memory. 
But if you don't use it, you lose it. 

Today I am committing myself to not lose it. I want to be the person described in the next verse. I want to be prepared "to give an answer to everyone who asks...to give the reason for the hope that is in [me]." 1 Peter 3:15


"Blessed are those who dwell in your house; they are ever praising you. Psalm 84:4

God, today I commit myself to You and to Your Word. I commit to memorize the  verses that You place on my heart and to actively use them throughout my days. Remain in me Lord, because I long to be the one that is ever praising you. In Jesus' name, Amen.

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come: The old has gone, the new is here!" 
2 Corinthians 5:17

In Love,
Casey

2 comments:

  1. I am always #amazed at those that can just let scripture fall from their lips. Thanks for sharing your commitment, your love of the Lord and His Word. May God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so good, and such a great reminder that we do lose it if we don't use it. I love your prayer.

    ReplyDelete